Best back exercises at home for fat-less sexy back
Who doesn’t want a fat-less lean sexy back? We all want that but unfortunately very few are willing to put much concentration on building back compare to chest of abs. Like shoulders a well build back is very important for building an ideal body. Back does not only support you almost everything you do physically but it also give you the impression of your personality.
Back exercise is especially mandatory for those who spend most of their days sitting on a desk. Research shows that back pain is one of the most common types of pain that are city dwellers facing after their late thirties. Regular exercise can solve this problem that ensures a long productive healthy life.
In this article I will show you some common but very effective back workouts that you can easily do at your home. But, before that you may watch this video to know about our back anatomy:
Anatomy of Back muscle
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Pull-ups / Chin-ups
Equipment: Pull-up bar
Push-up is known as the king of all back exercises according to many fitness experts. In fact this one is one of the most important exercises without having any real alternatives. If you really want to have a nice V-shape shoulder you must have to do this exercise regularly.
Pull-up and chin-ups are not very complicated exercise. But for that you will have to install a pull-up bar somewhere at your home. Recently arranging this facility at your home is become really convenient with the arrival of well designed door pull-up bars that you can easily buy from any online shop. Believe me this will be an investment you won’t regret.
Though this exercise is pretty simple but unfortunately doing it is not easy at all. In fact, to my opinion, pull-up is the hardest exercise ever. For the beginners doing one complete accurate pull-up may seem impossible, especially if you are little over weight. Even if you are not overly weighted still it might be really difficult for you at the beginning. But no matter how difficult you may find it, remember, becoming a master of pull-ups is must to have a great body. It also considered as a measuring standard of your performance and fitness level.
Mastering it will take time and endurance on your part. Keep trying until you can do number of accurate pull-up and when you gain this ability you will be grateful to yourself for all those effort you put on this one exercise.
Here is a very effective tutorial of pull-ups for beginners.
Stick to this plan given by Fitness expert Scooby and you will be able to do number of pull-ups within few months. I personally know some of my friends who benefitted from his tutorial.
First you need to grip a pull-up bar with your palms facing away from your face. In the beginning you can choose the width of grip where you found the maximum strength. However, a little wider than the shoulder-width is the ideal.
Pull your body up while keeping your chest upward and pulling your shoulder blades downward and together until your chin riches slightly above the bar. When you lift your body up your elbow should be moving down towards your back pocket along with your shoulder. Pause at the lifted position for a moment.
Do not point them to the front. Focus on your back muscle not on your biceps.
After a short pause at the lifted position slowly lower your body all the way back down to the hanging positions. Do this in a controlled motion and do not swing your body to get the momentum for doing that.
Repeat as many as you can.
To get the maximum benefit
- Do not use your momentum by swinging your hip. You may increase the number of pull-up but it won’t bring you the benefits you are seeking.
- Do not point your elbow outwards. If you place your elbow pointing forward then all the pressure will be on your biceps and your back muscles will be overlooked.
- Do not keep your shoulder bled locked and pulling yourself with your arms.
Chin-up is an easier version of pull-up which works mostly on your biceps and less on your back. However, chin-up is still a great exercise to do regularly for its huge effectiveness.
Concept of chin-up is similar to pull-up but instead of griping the bar with palms away from your face you need to do the opposite. In this case your elbow will be pointing outwards from your body. Your constriction should be on both your biceps and also on your back.
Apart from this all the other moves would be exactly like pull-up.
2. Bent-over one arm dumbbell rows
This one is another great exercise for building your back. It’s easy and simple but tremendously effective. With this exercise you can work on your upper back, mid back and even you lower back with different forms of rows.
Equipment: One set of dumbbells and a flat bench. If you don’t have bench then you can also use your knee to provide the required support.
Put your right knee and right palm on the bench while keeping your back straight. This position should be stable and fixed.
- With the other hand grab the dumbbell with an open grip. Your palm should be facing towards the bench and your hand should be fully extended hanging close to the bench. (This is your starting position)
- Use your back to pull up the dumbbell towards your back and squeeze your back muscles. Your elbow should be pulling towards your back pocket along with your shoulder. Hold this position for a little while to feel the pressure.
- Lower the dumbbells all the way down to your starting position to complete one full row.
Repeat these movements for 8-12 times with a controlled manner.
Complete this whole process for your other hand.
Complete 8-12 for both side will be considered as one set. Use suitable weights so that you can’t do more than 12 reps and can do less than 8 reps. Otherwise you have to change the dumbbell for greater benefits. 3-4 to complete sets is sufficient.
For upper back you need to lift the dumbbell close to your shoulder while squeezing your upper back muscles. For middle part pull the dumbbell to your middle body… you get the concept right?
3. Dumbbell Romanian Deadlift
Like any other forms of deadlift this one is also tremendously effective exercise. Deadlift is a big compound exercise that includes different parts of your body mostly your back, back of your thigh, hips, shoulders and your arms. So, you can understand how effective this is to build a balanced attractive body.
All though this exercise may seem easy but actually a very sophisticated one. Without learning the right form no one should try this exercise for its associated risk of hurting your lower back. However, no one stopped doing this exercise for its huge benefits.
So, what you need is to learn the correct forms first and be very careful all the time while doing this bad ass exercise.
- Grab two dumbbells softly with your hands hanging in front of your thighs. Your palms should be facing towards your legs.
- Stand up straight keeping your legs together and keep tight your back and hips. (This is your starting position)
- Slowly bend over keeping your legs, arms and back straight to reach down as far as you can stretch.
- Then come up slowly to your starting position to complete one rep.
Repeat this above movements for 8-10 times to complete one set. 3-4 set is enough for one session.
- Grab the weights with soft hand and allow the weights to pull you down slowly. Move with a controlled fashion and do not use any momentum of your body to do this exercise.
- Always remember to keep your back straight. Never allow yourself to curve your back a little, not even when you grab the weights at the beginning or put them after finishing one set.
- At the beginning do not go for too heavy weights. Start with comparatively lower weights and later increase the weights slowly to avoid risks.
4. Dumbbell pullover
A dumbbell pullover is a bit advanced level workout when you need concentration on isolated muscles. This workout is great for your upper back, shoulders, chest and triceps.
Put your back on a bench and slide out rest of your body. Your back should be on the bench and your leg on the floor to get the support. Your hips should be up and your body from knee to head should be parallel to the floor.
- Grab a dumbbell with both hand palm facing away from your face and extend your hand over your head (This is your starting position)
- Keeping your hand straight pull back over the dumbbell behind your head and pause there for a second
- Back to your starting position slowly while keeping your abs tight and nice.
Complete this rep 8-12 times for one set. 3-4 set will do for one session.
Do not use extremely heavy weights for this workout.
5. Bent-Over Dumbbell Rows
This compound free-weight workout that can help you to get strong shoulders and whole the upper-body muscles as well.
To launch this workout, follow the steps and apply them simply:
- Stand in straight and accommodative position with your feet hip-width apart
- Push your hips backward when you hinge your torso backward
- Keep your back straight, not hunched
- Grab dumbbells hanging in front of your crotch (this is your starting position)
- Lift the dumbbells up to the sides of your waist in a controlled manner with bending your elbows out to your sides
- Return slowly to the starting position
Repeat these movements for 8 to 15 times to complete one set.
Warning: Don’t start lifting heavier weights in the beginning.
Careful with your lower back – always keep your back straight.
- Always keep your movement controlled, nice and slow.
- Use weights with which you do minimum 8 and maximum 15 reps
- If you can’t do 8 reps then decrease weight and if you can do 15 reps easily then increase weight to continue the progression
- Complete 3 to 4 sets for each workout and incorporate this back workout session into your workout routine at least one day per week to get the attractive back you want.
- Always stretches before starting your main exercises. Lower back is very prone to injuries. Always keep your back straight when you lift weights.
- Consult with your doctor if have any types of back pain or any major health issues.
You might also like – Best shoulder workout at home